Hi guys! Once again, I am back and I know it’s been far too long. Since my last blog, many things happened – a career change (again) being the biggest. I guess deciding what my focus should be for this blog and what people are interested in reading have been an on-going question for me. I mean, are people even reading my beauty/skincare products posts? Should I continue to share interesting drink recipes? Should I try to share my Taobao hauls since I shop there frequently? Should I share my travel trips? Etc etc.
Recently, I decided to make a list of things I’ve learned in life. Now, I am not proud or keen on the idea to announce to the world that I’ve hit the big 3-0 because 1) I dislike all the social pressures that comes with entering this new phase and, 2) I actually feel much younger than I am. I am actually not very open about my personal life but in order to make this list more applicable, I must be authentic too, right? To be very honest, the last couple years have been a really tough and difficult time for me. A roller coaster and a combination of grief, pain, disappointments, discouragements, adaptations, resentment, and simply a lot of changes in many aspects of my life. In a nutshell, life was messy, hard and dark. At this moment, I am definitely in a much better position in life so I am able to share with you what I’ve learned in hopes to encourage you if you’re struggling or going through in life.
– Don’t ever compare yourself to others. (If social media is one source that is causing you to draw those comparisons with others or feel depress, have the strong will to withdraw from social media or at least do a temporary detox on it. One thing I do is put my Facebook app that is not readily viewable when I open my phone and it has been really helpful.) Everyone is born with different gifts, talents, strengths and weakness; and that is what makes us all uniquely different. We are meant to walk a different life. What works for others may not work for you. If you are not sure what your gifts, talents, and strengths are, I encourage you to go and try different things!
– Be nice and kind to others. You never know what others are going through. It is also nice to make someone else’s day – random act of kindness. Spread love and not hate – that’s how we make the world a better place and that begins with ourselves. Volunteer in an area that interests you and help those in need. I don’t know about you but I always learn a lot and get a lot of joy from volunteering.
– Be grateful and thankful about people and things in life. People in your life aren’t in your life forever and lives are very precious, appreciate the moments. Be intentional in your relationships.
– It’s totally okay to say no to people and invites. There’s no need to say yes to things just to please others. It is completely okay to want to spend time alone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting quiet time to self reflect and replenish your soul.
– Do more of what you like and enjoy. Life is really too short to waste time doing things that makes you unhappy.
– Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Those who don’t mind will stick around. Treasure them. If there are toxic people in your life. Stay away. I hate to admit but there ARE people who do not want the best for you and could care less if you fail. Surround yourself with positivity.
– Don’t be afraid to try new things and step out of your comfort zone. Taking the first step will be hard but once you step out, I promise you – you will feel a bit braver each time. Even if you are afraid or feel fearful, do it with courage. If things fail, then so be it. At least you know you tried, gave all that you had, got the experience and have no regrets. I hate to say this but at the end of the day, realistically, you only live once. YOLO!
– Spend wisely. (I admit, this is a hard one for me!) Self-control. It is easy to get caught up on the latest beauty products, fashion item, tech gadgets but remember, at the end of our life, we can’t take these items with us. Yes, we can pass them on to our loved ones but really, when you leave this world – think about what you want to be remembered for? Focus on those stuff.
– If you have the time and savings, go out, travel and explore. Be exposed to another culture and expand your horizons. Don’t be stuck inside your own world and culture. (No, I don’t mean go on a 5-star all-inclusive vacation… well, yes, you can but here, I mean go… travel)
– You can’t control how others feel or treat you. However, you can control how you react to it. And this here, is probably the key to happiness in life but also a tough one because you have to be very strong and at the same time, know how to filter out those negativity around you.
That’s my list for now. I hope you enjoyed reading this and have a blessed day!